Public Works Superintendent - Township of Armstrong, Earlton, ON
Temps plein • Temiskaming Shores Région
REPORTS TO: Council
LOCATION: Public Works Garage (Primary)
SUMMARY: The Public Works Superintendent (PWS) is a member of the Township’s Senior Management Team. The PWS is responsible for operational oversight of all human, physical and financial
resources of the Public Works Department. The PWS is the Public Works Department’s content expert and provides strategic and operational advice to Council on all Public Works matters. The PWS also works in the field carrying out supervision, patrols, inspections, operates equipment and other duties outside of the office. The PWS collaborates with the Township’s ORO for the delivery of water and sewer services.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES (This is not an exhaustive list)
1. Supervises all physical assets of the Township including but not limited to linear infrastructure, buildings, arena, parks, cemeteries, landfill, and fleet (except for Fire Department equipment and apparatus).
2. Supervises the activities of all Public Works Department staff, including labour relations and disciplinary matters.
3. Collaborates with the Township’s Overall Responsible Operator (ORO) to ensure
water and sewer operations are effectively implemented and appropriately
staffed Public Works Job Description – under review
4. Ensures adherence to the Township’s Minimum Maintenance Standards and other regulations or standards.
5. Coordinates winter control activities, including road patrol.
6. Coordinates the activities of all contractors and consultants engaged in Public Works activities including, drainage, landfill, garbage collection and waste diversion
7. Develops, oversees and reports on the implementation of annual Departmental Work Plans.
8. Develops and recommends comprehensive annual operating and capital budgets for the Public Works Department.
9. Works collaboratively with the Clerk-Treasurer to produce annual updates to the Asset Management Plan, Tangible Capital Assets and long-range capital forecasts.
10. Plans and coordinates all Public Works Department capital works projects.
11. Ensures timely delivery of all operational and project-based initiatives.
12. Participates actively as a member of the Township’s Senior Management Team.
13. Receives, investigates and responds to inquiries or complaints within the Public Works Department’s mandate.
14. Prepares and presents reports to Council and Township committees.
15. Performs duties as Equipment Operator.
16. Ensures proper documentation is prepared and maintained in accordance with applicable law and best practices for such matters as CVOR, Road Patrol, Driver’s Logs, Driver’s Abstracts, etc.
17. Ensures compliance with all applicable Health and Safety regulations and statutes.
18. Serves as an active member of the Township’s Emergency Management
19. Ensures compliance with all applicable law related to Public Works matters.
20. Liaise with other levels of government and agencies on Public Works matters.
- 2 General Equipment Operators
- 1 Labourer/Landfill Attendant
- Summer Students
• Grade 12 education or equivalent
• Minimum 5 years municipal (or related) progressive experience with at least 2 years in a supervisory capacity.
• The Township may consider a different combination of education and experience where appropriate. Public Works Job Description – under review
• Class DZ License
• Wastewater Operator Class 1 Treatment and Collection
• Drinking Water Operator Certificate Level 1 for Treatment and Distribution
• Bilingual in both French and English
• OGRA Road School - TJ Mahony road school graduate.
• Drinking Water Operator Certificate Level 2 for Treatment
• Wastewater Operator Class 2 Collection
• 3-year Community College Diploma in Civil, Environmental or Building Sciences
• Road Construction Junior Inspector (rcji), or Road Construction Senior Inspector (rcsi), or Road Construction Contract Administrator (rcca)
• Certified member (CET, C.Tech or A.Sc.T) or Associate of OACETT
• Handles inquiries or complaints from the public, agencies or council members on behalf of the department.
• Responds to emergencies on a 24/7 on-call basis.
• Conducts and supervises winter control operations and road patrol (driving) on a
24/7 on-call basis.
• Handles and balances multiple shifting priorities.
• Requires significant attention to detail while in the field (construction and vehicle safety/engineering) or while developing budgets, strategies or comprehensive reports.
IMPACT OF ERROR:
Errors in management of programs and operations may result in:
• Interruptions in services to the public, increased costs and possible liability.
• Poor roads maintenance or poorly maintained equipment could result in increased long-term costs, personal injury, financial liability, safety hazards and damaged vehicles.
• Improper/inappropriate management of staff may result in lower employee morale and decreased productivity. Public Works Job Description – under review
A minimum 40 hours per week plus on-call and occasional evenings for Council and Committee Meetings. The position is generally considered to be on call 24 hours per day and is expected to handle winter events and emergency situations.
Partially office conditions, sitting at a desk for periods of time and viewing computer screens; partly field work. Exposure to extreme weather conditions, construction
activities, dust, debris, loud heavy equipment, fumes and odours (sewage).
The Township of Armstrong offers a comprehensive benefits package and is a participating member of OMERS Pension.
Salary Range: To be discussed
Posted Date: 03-31-2021
Closing Date: 04-16-2021
Please send your email to:
Township of Armstrong
35 Tenth Avenue
Earlton, ON P0J 1E0
ATTN: Amy Vickery-Menard, Clerk-Treasurer
Thank you for your interest in the above positions, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted for an interview.